CS 376 Fall 2012
New material is added here first, and later moved elsewhere
or removed entirely as it becomes old or obsolete. Some information
is considered sufficiently important to never expire.
- Midterm Exam: Lecture Center C6, Monday 8 October, 5:30-6:30
- Course Policies - Includes
instructor information and original planned schedule.
- John Bell's Home page,
including office information and links to current schedule.
- Class Lecture Handouts
- UIC Campus Event
( Seminar ) Schedule
- Seminar Evaluation Guidelines - PDF
Format - MS
- Student Presentation Critique Forms - PDF
Presentations the EVL Way
- Microsoft Software Program:
Does Rocket Science - An excellent analysis by Edward Tufte
of how Boeing Engineers reported important information to NASA
about the problems with the Columbia shuttle using ( bad ) PowerPoint
slides ( via e-mail, without an actual presentation ) instead
of proper technical reports, and how the restrictive nature of
the PowerPoint format caused important information to be either
mis-interpreted or omitted altogether, contributing directly
to the subsequent crash of the Columbia. Tufte's Conclusion:
PowerPoint has its place in support of oral presentations, but
it is no substitute for a proper technical report, ( of which
many of Boeing's younger engineers seem to have totally lost
the ability to write. )
- The Gettysburgh
Address in PowerPoint - Don't overlook the speaker's notes
and the "Making Of" links!
- ACM Web Site
- Linux Users Group ( LUG ) Web Site
- Student Presentation Schedule
- Week 1 - Introductions - All on 27 Aug
- Self-Study Reading Assignment: Chapters 1 & 6.
- Week 2 - Note: No class on Monday 3 September.
- Week 3 - Preparation and Structure, Chapter 3.
- Week 4 - Visual Aids & Powerpoint, Chapter 4 & Appendix B.
- Week 5 & 6 - Topic of Choice - 2/3 on 24 September, 1/3 on 1 October- Topics
due Friday 21 September at midnight
- Week 7 - Midterm Exam, MONDAY 8 OCTOBER, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Week 7 & 8 - Technical Project Reports - Topics
due Thursday 4 October at midnight
- Week 9 & 10 - Conference Papers: - Topics & references
due Thursday 18 October at midnight
- Week 11 - Lecturing, Wankat Handout.
- Week 12 & 13 - Classroom Lectures - Topics due Thursday 8 November at midnight
- Week 14 - Business Proposals
- Week 15 - Poster Presentations
- Same topics as conference papers