I am a Research Assistant at the University of Chicago Institute for Genomics and Systems Biology(IGSB). My research is focused on data mining, data intensive computing and bioinformatics, especially working with large scale data-sets. My research advisors are Professor Robert Grossman and Professor Philip S. Yu. Before coming to the United States, I recieved my master and bachelor degree from Zhejiang University.
Resume & Education
Complete PDF Version here
- Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago [expected 5/2013]
Advisor: Professor Robert Grossman, Professor Philip S. Yu
- M.S. in Computer Science, Zhejiang University [7/06]
Advisor: Professor Yao Zheng
- B.S. in Computer Science, Zhejiang University [7/04]
Advisor: Professor Jiaoying Shi
Publications & Patent:
- Wenxuan Gao, Robert Grossman, Philip S. Yu, Christopher Brown, Matthew Slattery, Lijia Ma and Kevin P. White, "Discovering Geometric Patterns in Genomic Data", ACM BCB 2012, Orlando
- B. Akers and Wenxuan Gao, Wilton ripples in weakly nonlinear model equations, Commun. Math. Sci., 10(3), 1015-1024 (2012)
- Wenxuan Gao, Robert Grossman, Philip S. Yu and Yunhong Gu, "Why naive ensembles do not work in cloud computing", Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining Workshops, Miami, 2009
- Tingjun Yang, Lijun Xie, Yao Zheng, Wenxuan Gao and Ninghe Pan, "Construction of a Large Scale Stereo Display Wall System", Journal of Computer-Aided Design & Computer Graphics, 2007, Vol.19 No.8
- Lijun Xie, Yao Zheng, Tingjun Yang, Wenxuan Gao and Ninghe Pan, "SimWall: A Practical User-Friendly Stereo Tiled Display Wall System", Journal of Zhejiang University Science A, 2007, 8(4), p 596-604.
- Yao Zheng,Wenxuan Gao et.al, Correcting method for large-scale 3D spliced display wall, CN1971504, G06F3/14(2006.01)I
Research Intern, Nokia Research Center Cambridge, 2011 Summer
- Created a speech interface mobile phone application, which supports TTS and multiple voice commands.
- Developed a python based web server to support multiple natural language processing modules.
Research Intern, Motorola Applied Research and Technology Center, 2010 Summer
- Worked on a data mining and visualization system, which allows users to import their own data and then automatically discover interesting association rules and present them in an organized and summarized format.
- Improved the memory management and GUI, developed new features upon client’s request, implemented new knowledge interesting measures to sort the association rules.
Software Development Engineer, Insigma Hengtian Software Ltd, 2006 - 2007
- Implemented an online stock trading system with Struts, Spring and Hibernate, which allows users place orders, view orders, cancel orders, view trade history and can cross orders internally. Also developed a market simulator with JMS, which provides instant quote information for the trading system.
- Developed an online retail store with Coldfusion, which enables administrators to upload and delete products as well as allow customers to place orders.
Since 2007, I joined Chinese Students and Sholarship Association(CSSA) at the University of Illinois at Chicago. From 2008 to 2009, I served as the President of CSSA. To promote friendship, communication and cultral exchange between communities, we organized variety of activites like sports events, celebrations and cultral festivals. On April 15,2009, I was awarded the Chancellor's Student Service and Leadership Awards, which recognizes outstanding student leaders who have made a significant contribution to the campus community. Here is a photo taken at the ceremony.