Recommended step by step process
- Send e-mail request for “Graduation Check” to ‘grad @ cs.uic.edu’, at least one month prior to the term you intend to graduate. Include your name, UIN, program (if MS identify thesis, project or coursework only option) and expected graduation term. Student Affairs staff will respond with requirements you completed and/or are missing. The early check allows you ample time to modify your registration, if necessary, for your final semester.
- Be aware of graduation guidelines. CS Student Affairs Office will email a reminder at the beginning of the semester. Deadlines are also available on the graduate academic calendar, and are non-negotiable.
- ‘Apply to Graduate‘ via my.uic.edu portal -in the “Academics” tab of the student part of the portal (you may also have staff and faculty sections if you work on campus and/or are a teaching assistant) go to the “Records” sub-tab and then choose “Declare your Intent to Graduate”.
- Inform your advisor of your intent to graduate (does not apply to MS students w/ coursework only option).
If you are graduating with a Thesis/Dissertation, you must:
- Submit a “Committee Recommendation Form” three weeks prior to your defense date. The form must be filled out on-line, printed, signed by your advisor and submitted to the CS Student Affairs Office (SEO 905). Hand written forms are not acceptable.
- If any committee member is not part of the UIC graduate college faculty (post doc or visiting faculty); or if they are non-UIC faculty – a CV must be submitted with the committee recommendation form.
- All PhD students must attach an abstract to the committee recommendation form for both their preliminary exam and final dissertation defense.
- All students must send an email announcement for advertisement at least a week prior their defense to email@example.com. Defense details are advertised to all faculty and graduate students.
- Graduate College will return an ‘Exam Report’ after they approve the Committee Recommendation Form. The CS Student Affairs Office will inform you of this.
- Consult the ‘Graduate Thesis Manual’ for information on all required forms and format of the thesis.
- Schedule your defense date at least two weeks (for PhD) and 10 days (for MS thesis) prior to the thesis submission deadline.
- Just prior to or immediately following your defense, e-mail a PDF copy of your thesis to ‘grad @ cs.uic.edu’ for a format check.
- Pick up ‘Exam Report’ from the CS Student Affairs Office to take to the defense. All committee members sign the form and it should be returned immediately to the CS Student Affairs Office.
- All thesis are submitted electronically. Information on electronic submission is available on the Graduate college website.
- All required forms must be completed and signed before submitting them to Graduate College. A detailed checklist of the required forms is available in the thesis manual.
- Send a final PDF copy of the thesis/dissertation to CS Student Affairs Office.
If you are graduating with the MS Project option, you must:
- Make sure your advisor and the second committee member have ample time (at least one week) to read and approve your project.
- All CS lecturers, assistant, associate, full professors and adjunct faculty are eligible to serve as a primary advisor and secondary committee member. Secondary committee member can also be a full-time faculty member at UIC (non-CS faculty or adjunct faculty); however they have to be pre-approved by the primary advisor and DGS. One of the committee members should hold at least a 50% appointment in the CS department
- Your advisor and second committee member must sign ‘Certificate of Approval‘ form
- Submit a hard copy of the project report and the ‘Certificate of Approval’ form the Student Affairs Office by the department project deadline.
- Minimum format guidelines for the project report:
- Cover page – should include title, name, UIN, committee names and semester of graduation
- Table of Contents
- Introduction, chapters, conclusion and appendix/cited literature
- Begin each chapter and section on a new page
- Send a final PDF copy of the MS Project to CS Student Affairs Office
- Have your advisor submit grade changes for all your DFR, I or M grades of your research hours (597, 598 & 599).
- Return all borrowed equipment and keys to SEO 1120.
Please note that if you do not graduate in the semester you submitted your ‘Intent to Graduate’, you have to submit the request again during the term you intend to graduate. The previous request will NOT be carried over to the next semester automatically.