Muhammad Awais Jafar
I am a PhD student in the department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I am advised by Dr. Chris Kanich. My research is focused on the intersection of Privacy, Cyber Security and Applied deep learning. Previously, I worked in Systems and Security lab in LUMS under the supervision of Dr. Fareed Zaffar. I also have a 3 years work experience as a Research and Development Engineer at SlashNext
Timeline of the cool stuff
- August 2018: Joined the University of Illinois at Chicago for PhD in Computer Science.
- July 2018: Left Systems and Security Lab in LUMS.
- June 2018: Graduated at the top of my Masters Batch
- March 2018: Admitted to PhD programs of University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Iowa
- September 2017: Received the Masters Academic Merit Scholarship at Lahore University of Management Science
- June 2017: Joined Systems and Security Lab in LUMS under the supervision of Dr. Fareed Zaffar.
It takes time to come up with the best first publication :)
My research area of interest mainly comprise of using deep learning to answer security questions, text analytics, computer vision and generating adversarial samples to test robustness of the machine learning models. I also have research collaborations with professors in University of IOWA and Lahore University of Management Sciences.
I have worked as a Research and Devcelopment engineer at a California based Network Security Comapny called Slashnext for 3 years. My main responsibilities were,
- Working with Tensorflow and keras for deep learning models implementation
- Development of Classifier to identify Malicious PDF documents
- Phishing Detection using Adversial Networks
- Strata Cluster Analysis for Malicious and benign network communication
- Performing ETL using tools like RapidMiner and using native python numpy stack
- Experience with Numpy stack including Numpy, Scikit-learn, Scipy, Pandas and Matplotlib
- Cron and Automation Scripting using Python/Bash
- Hands on experience with Databases, Local and Remote network administration
- Collaborative Version Control System (Git, SVN)