Bing Liu is a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). He received his PhD in Artificial Intelligence from the University of Edinburgh. Before joining UIC, he was a faculty member (associate professor) at School of Computing, National University of Singapore (NUS).
- Research Interests: Sentiment analysis and opinion mining, lifelong machine learning, data mining, machine learning, and natural language processing (NLP).
- Research Publications: He has published extensively in top conferences and journals such as KDD, ICML, WWW, ACL, EMNLP, AAAI, IJCAI, TKDE, TWED, CL, etc. His papers with citations can be found from his Google Scholar page (or his publication page or DBLP). He has also authored four books (3 monographs and 1 textbook):
- Z. Chen and B. Liu. "Lifelong Machine Learning." Morgan & Claypool Publishers, November 2016.
- B. Liu. “Sentiment Analysis: Mining Opinions, Sentiments, and Emotions.” Cambridge University Press, June 2015.
- B. Liu. “Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining.” Morgan & Claypool Publishers, May, 2012.
- B. Liu. “Web Data Mining: Exploring Hyperlinks, Contents and Usage Data.”
Springer, First Edition, 2006; Second Edition, 2011.
Research Contributions: He is best known for his pioneering work on sentiment analysis and opinion mining (KDD test-of-time award), fake/deceptive opinion detection, and association rules based classification (KDD test-of-time award). He is also a pioneer researcher of PU learning (or learning from positive and unlabeled examples) (or set expansion), Web data extraction and interestingness in data mining. In 2013, he started to work on lifelong machine learning and wrote the first ever book dedicated to the topic with his student, published in Nov 2016.
Awards and Honors (Selected):
- Professional Recognitions: ACM Fellow, AAAI Fellow, and IEEE Fellow.
- 2015 KDD Test-of-Time Paper Award: M. Hu and B. Liu. “Mining and Summarizing Customer Reviews.” Proceedings of the Tenth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD-2004), 2004.
- 2014 KDD Test-of-Time Paper Award: B. Liu, W. Hsu and Y. Ma. “Integrating Classification and Association Rule Mining.” Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD-1998), 1998.
Professional Services: He served as the Chair of ACM SIGKDD (7/1/2013 - 6/30/2017). SIGKDD is the premier academic community for data mining, data science, and big data. He has also served as the Program Committee Chair of the flagship data mining conferences of ACM, IEEE and SIAM (KDD, ICDM, and SDM respectively) and three other conferences (CIKM, WSDM, and PAKDD), as associate editors of several leading data mining journals, e.g., TKDE, TWEB, DMKD, and as area/track chairs or senior program committee members of numerous NLP, AI, data mining, and Web technology conferences.
Press Coverage: In addition to research contributions, his work has also made important social impacts. He and some of his work have been featured widely in the press internationally, including a front-page article in the New York Times.
Created on June 15, 2015 by Bing Liu.