Some Invited Talks, Tutorials and Interviews Since 2005
- Keynote talk. “Sentiment Analysis and Lifelong Machine Learning." The 3rd CCF conference on Natural Language Processing and Chinese Computing (NLPCC-2014), Dec. 5-9, 2014, Shenzhen, China.
- Invited lecture. "Sentiment analysis: mining opinions, sentiments and emotions." The CCF Advanced Disciplines Lectures (ADL 52), Dec. 5-7, 2014. Shenzhen, China.
- Keynote talk. “Sentiment Analysis and Lifelong Machine Learning." The 13th Mexican International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (MICAI-2014), November 16 to 22, 2014, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas, Mexico.
- Keynote talk. “Sentiment Analysis and Lifelong Machine Learning. CORE 2014, Mexico City, Nov 12–14, 2014.
- Distinguished speaker. “Opinion Mining, Machine Learning and Big Data.” Department of Information Systems, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Oct. 20, 2014.
- Keynote talk. “Sentiment Centric Analysis of Social Media” First European Network Intelligence Conference (ENIC 2014), September 29-30, 2014, Wroclaw, Poland.
- Invited tutorial. “Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining.” Summer school on Advances in Machine Learning for Social Media Analysis (MLSMA’2014), September 23-27, 2014, Wroclaw, Poland.
- Invited talk. “From Sentiment Analysis to Lifelong Learning.” The Houghton College, September 15, 2014, New York, USA.
- Keynote talk: Sentiment Analysis: Past, Present and Future. Conference on Behavioural Models & Sentiment Analysis Applied to Finance. London, UK, June 18-19 2014.
- Invited talk: Aspect-based Sentiment Analysis. Workshop on Sentiment Classification and Opinion Mining Using News Wires and Micro-blogs, London, UK, June 20, 2014
- Keynote talk: From Sentiment Analysis to Continous Learning (topic disocvery), Summer Research Insitute, EPFL - Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2 2014.
- Several invited talks on sentiment analysis, machine learning and NLP were given in May 20, 26, and 27 2014 in Jiangxi University of Finance and Economicis, Renmin University, Tsinghua University, and Beijing Univrsity of Posts and Telecommunications, China.
- Keynote talk: Sentiment Analysis and Natural Language Processing. The 15th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (CICling-2014), April 6-12, 2014, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- From Opinion Mining to Modeling of Comments and Debates. Keynote talk at
Conference for Big Data Systems, Applications and Privacy, March 10-11, 2013, Abu Dhabi.
- Modeling of Comments and Debates. Invited talk at IKDD workshop (Inaugural Workshop of India KDD Chapter), Feb 15, 2013, Mysore, India.
- Sentiment Analysis and Social Media Modeling. Invited talk at TCS Symposium, Feb 12, 2013, New Delhi, India.
- Sentiment Analysis and Social Media Modeling. Invited talk at the Marketing Department, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, January 23, 2013.
- Analysis and Modeling of Opinions and Sentiments. Invited talk at Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago (TTI). Dec 4, 2012, Chicago, USA.
- The Next Generation of Sentiment Analysis. Invited talk at Task-Driven Analysis of Social Media: The Second Workshop on Interactive Visual Text Analytics, Oct 15, 2012, Seattle, USA.
- Detecting Fake Opinions in Social Media. Invited talk at KDD-2012 Workshop on Issues of Sentiment Discovery and Opinion Mining, Aug 12, 2012, Beijing, China.
- Modeling Opinions and Beyond in Social Media. KDD Summer School (Aug 10, 2012) at the KDD conference (Aug 12-16, 2012), Beijing, China. (This is an 2-hour lecture. I will talk about how to model opinions, comments, etc. in social media).
- Analysis and Modeling of Sentiments and Opinions. Invited talk given at IBM Almedan Research Center, June 21, 2012.
- An interview: The Science of Detecting Fake Reviews. Interview by Trinity Hartman at Content Ping, May 18, 2012.
- An interview: Practical Sentiment Analysis and Lies. Interviewed by Tom H. C. Anderson for his Next Gen Market Research blog, April 9, 2012.
- Practical Sentiment Analysis. Invited tutorial at Sentiment Analysis Symposium, May 8 (tutorial on May 7), 2012, New York, USA.
- Data Mining Challenges in Sentiment Analysis. Invited talk to be given at ICDM-2011 Workshop on Sentiment Elicitation from Natural Text for Information Retrieval and Extraction, December 10, 2011 Vancouver, Canada.
- Sentiment Analysis Tutorial - (references). Given at AAAI-2011, Monday, August 8, 2011, San Francisco, USA.
- Opinion Mining: Abstraction and Techniques. Invited talk given in the expert speaker series of the Data Science Summer Institute at UIUC, June 17, 2011. The talk has also been given in a number of universities and research labs in the summer of 2011.
- Opinion Mining: What is there for Data Miners? Keynote at Interantional Wordshop on Topic Feature Discovery and Opinion Mining, Sydney, Australia, Dec 14, 2010 (at ICDM-2010).
- Interestingness in the Real World: Two Case Studies. Keynote at 2010 Wordshop on Domain Driven Data Mining, Sydney, Australia, Dec 14, 2010 (at ICDM-2010).
- Beyond Sentiments - Opinion Mining in the Read World. Keynote at The 2nd International Workshop on Search and Mining User-generated Contents, Toronto, Oct 30, 2010 (at CIKM-2010).
- Opinion Mining: Structure the Unstructured. Keynote at The First International Workshop on Opinion Mining for Business Intelligence (OMBI'10), Toronto, Aug 31, 2010.
- Opinion Mining and Sentiment Analysis: NLP Meets Social Sciences .
Talk given at the Invited Workshop on Social Theory and Social Computing, Honolulu, Hawaii, May 22-23, 2010. (Sponsored by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research).
- Sentiment Analysis: A multifaceted Problem. Talk given at the Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, May 11, 2010.
- Learning from Positive and Unlabeled Examples. Talk given at the Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, May 11, 2010.
- PU Learning and Similarity-Based Ranking. Talk given at the Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences, May 13, 2010.
- Opinion Mining and Sumamrization. Invited talk given at the MAVIR symposium, Nov 19, 2009, Madrid, Spain.
- Opinion Mining and Sentiment Analysis via Divide and Conquer. Invited Talk given at the Workshop on Mining User-Generated Content, Aug 8, 2009, Singapore Management University, Singapore.
- Sentiment Analysis. Keynote talk at the 5th Annual Text Analytics Summit, Boston, USA, June 1-2, 2009.
- An Interview on Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining by textAnalyticsNews.com, April 20, 2009.
- Exploring Users Opinion in Recommender Systems. Invited talk at the KDD-2008 Workshop on Large Scale Recommender Systems, Aug 24, 2008, Las Vegas, USA.
- Opinion Mining and Summarization. Panel talk at Social Media Research Summit @ the 2008 Microsoft Research Faculty Summit, July 30, 2008, Seattle, USA.
- Opinion Mining and Summarization (including review spam detection), tutorial given at WWW-2008, April 21, 2008 in Beijing, China.
- Web Data Extraction and Opinion Mining, invited talk at the Research and Development Dept. of Thomson, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 26, 2007
- From Web Content Mining to Natural Language Processing,
tutorial given at ACL-2007,
Prague, Czech Republic, June 23-30 2007.
- There is also a video made by Reinhard Rapp. It will be posted soon.
- From Topic Search to Opinion Search. Invited talk at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, New York, June 4, 2007.
- (1) Web Data Extraction and Template Detection, and (2) Sentiment Analysis. Invited talks at Yandex (the most popular search engine in Russia), Moscow, Russia, May 15, 2007.
- Mining Opinions in the User Generated Content on the Web, Invited talk at Motorola Labs, Mar 5 2007. (Similar to the talk given at Google).
- ACM SIGKDD Inaugural Webcast: Web Content Mining, Nov 29, 2006.
See live recording, references and other information.
- Mining and Summarizing Opinions on the Web. Invited talk at ACL-06 Workshop on Sentiment and Subjectivity in Text. July 22, 2006, Sydney, Australia.
- Searching Opinions in User-Generated Contents. Invited talk at the Sixth Annual Emerging Information Technology Conference (EITC-06), Aug 10-12, 2006, Dallas, Texas.
- Opinion Mining and Search, Invited talk at Google, Pittsburgh,
Sept 29, 2006.
- Web Content Mining: tutorial given at WWW-2005 and WISE-2005.