Lifelong and Continual Learning Dialogue Systems
Learn new knowledge during conversation: learning on the job
"Lifelong Machine Learning."
by Z. Chen and B. Liu, Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2018 (2nd edition).
Continual Learning Dialogue Systems - Learning on the Job after Model Deployment. Tutorial @ IJCAI-2021, August 21-26, 2021, Montreal, Canada.
Continual Learning Dialogue Systems - Learning after Model Deployment. Invited talk @ ICLR-21 Workshop on Neural Conversational AI, May 7, 2021.
Learning on the Job in the Open World. Invited talk @ ICML-2020 Workshop on Continual Learning, July 17, 2020.
Lifelong Machine Learning Tutorial. Title: lifelong machine learning and computer reading the Web, KDD-2016, August 13-17, 2016, San Francisco, USA.
Lifelong Machine Learning Tutorial, IJCAI-2015, July 25-31, 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Although dialogue systems (chatbots) have been very popular in recent years, they still have some serious weaknesses which limit the scope of their applications. One major weakness is that they cannot learn new knowledge during the conversation process, i.e., their knowledge is fixed beforehand and cannot be expanded or updated during conversation. In this work, we propose to build a general knowledge learning engine for chatbots to enable them to continuously and interactively learn new knowledge during conversations. As time goes by, they become more and more knowledgeable and better and better at learning and conversation. This learning process is like human learning on the job.
TextBook: Zhiyuan Chen and Bing Liu. Lifelong Machine Learning. Morgan & Claypool, 2016.
- Bing Liu and Sahisnu Mazumder. Lifelong and Continual Learning Dialogue Systems: Learning during Conversation. to appear in Proceedings of AAAI-2021. 2021.
- Sahisnu Mazumder, Bing Liu, Shuai Wang, and Sepideh Esmaeilpour.
An Application-Independent Approach to Building Task-Oriented Chatbots with Interactive Continual Learning. to appear at NeurIPS-2020 Workshop on Human in the Loop Dialogue Systems (HLDS-2020). 2020.
- Sahisnu Mazumder, Bing Liu, Nianzu Ma, Shuai Wang. Continuous and Interactive Factual Knowledge Learning in Verification Dialogues. to appear at NeurIPS-2020 Workshop on Human And Machine in-the-Loop Evaluation and Learning Strategies (HAMLETS-2020). 2020.
- Bing Liu and Chuhe Mei. Lifelong Knowledge Learning in Rule-based Dialogue Systems. arXiv:2011.09811 [cs.AI], 2020.
- Bing Liu and Sahisnu Mazumder. Lifelong Learning Dialogue Systems: Chatbots that Self-Learn On the Job. arXiv:2009.10750 [cs.CL], Sept. 22, 2020.
- Sahisnu Mazumder, Bing Liu, Shuai Wang, Sepideh Esmaeilpour. Building an Application Independent Natural Language Interface. arXiv:1910.14084 [cs.CL], Oct. 30, 2019.
- Sahisnu Mazumder, Bing Liu, ShuaiWang, Nianzu Ma. Lifelong and Interactive Learning of Factual Knowledge in Dialogues. to appear in Proceedings of Annual Meeting of the Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue (SIGDIAL-2019), 11-13 September 2019, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Sahisnu Mazumder, Nianzu Ma, Bing Liu.
Towards a Continuous Knowledge Learning Engine for Chatbots. arXiv:1802.06024 [cs.CL], 16 Feb. 2018.
Previous title: "Towards an Engine for Lifelong Interactive Knowledge Learning in Human-Machine Conversations".
Created on Jan 24, 2018 by Bing Liu.