Latest update: August 15th, 2015.
Since Fall 2015, I have moved to The University of Dayton as a faculty member. My current homepage is on http://academic.udayton.edu/PhuPhung (You will be redirected to the page in 10 seconds).
My current research mainly focuses on software security, with use of ideas from programming languages, reference monitors, and compilers to defeat potential malicious behaviors from untrusted software. Some highlights of my publications:
- interWebSec: Cross-Language Web Protection, 2013-2016, funded by the Swedish Research Council (VR), PI: Phu Phung.
- Securing Web Advertisements, 2011-2013, funded by NSF, PIs: V.N. Venkat (UIC), and Kevin W. Hamlen (UTD) .
- Defensive Optimizing Compilation, 2012-2015, funded by DARPA, PIs: Jens Palsberg (UCLA), V.N. Venkat (UIC), Lenore D. Zuck (UIC), and Kedar Namjoshi (Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent).
As an instructor, Department of Computer Science, Unviversity of Illinois at Chicago, IL.
As a teaching assistant, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 2006-2010.
As a lecturer, Faculty of Computer and Science and Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam, 2001-2004 (in Vietnamese).
- Software Architecture, Spring 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009.
- Object-Oriented System Development, Fall 2007, Fall 2008
- Databases, Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010.
- System Programming in C, Spring 2007
- Network Application Programming, Fall 2002, Spring 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2004, Summer 2004
- Computer Networks, Fall 2003.
- Introduction to Programming, Spring 2002, Fall 2002, Spring 2003, Summer 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2003, Summer 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2004.
- Introduction to Computing, Spring 2002, Spring 2003, Spring 2004.
Societies: Senior Member of IEEE and IEEE Computer
Society, Member of ACM, ACM SIGSAC, ACM SIGCSE, AAAS, and OWASP.
Conference session chair: SERE'2014, ITMC'2014, ComMantel'2014, MobiWIS'2012.
Invited Journal Reviewer: Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) (2014-2015), e-Informatica Software Engineering Journal (EISEJ) (2014), Elsevier Computers & Security (2014), Journal of Computer Security (2013, 2014), International Journal of Information Security (2012), Journal of Systems and Software (2012), ACM Transactions on the Web (2009-2011).
Program Committee member: ICWE 2015 , OWASP AppSec EU (Research Track)'2015, ICISS'2014, FDSE'2014, SERE'2014, ISSNIP'2014, ComMantel'2014, ICISS'2013, EUSPN'2013, ComMantel'2013, SERE2012, ICISS'2012, SSIRI'2011.
Invited Conference Reviewer: CCS'2014, SP(Oakland)'2014,
W2SP'2013, NDSS'2013, ESORICS'2013,
Other activities: Panelist at ITMC'2014, Executive Board Committee member (2014) of UIC Postdoctoral Association, Faculty Judge for UIC Student Research Forum (2014).
Bio-sketch: see here
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois at Chicago
851 S. Morgan St, SEO 1120, M/C 152
Chicago, IL 60607, USA.
Phone: +1 312 413 5039