My main areas of research are in Database and Information Systems.
Some of my particular interests are in the following topics (note about manuscripts here provided):
- Semantic Data Integration
- Semantic Data
Integration in Hierarchical Domains (with Afsheen Rajendran). IEEE Intelligent
Systems, March - April, pp. 66-73, 2003.
- Using a Layered Approach for Interoperability on the Semantic Web (with Huiyong
Xiao). 4th International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering, Rome, Italy, 2003.
Driven Data Integration in Heterogeneous Networks (with Huiyong Xiao).
Complex Systems in Knowledge-Based Environments, eds. Andreas Tolk and Lakhmi Jain, pages 75-97, Springer, 2009.
- Semantic Desktop for Personal Information Management
- A Multi-Ontology Approach for Personal Information Management (with Huiyong Xiao).
1st Workshop on The Semantic Desktop - Next Generation Personal Information Management and Collaboration Infrastructure,
Galway, Ireland, November 2005 (in association with ISWC).
- Semantically-Driven Multimedia Querying and Presentation (with Olga Sayenko).
Managing Multimedia Semantics, Idea Group Publishing, 2005.
- Semantic Organization of Multimedia Data for Meaningful Display (with Olga Sayenko).
HCI International Conference, Las Vegas, NV, 2005.
- A Layered
Framework Supporting Personal Information Integration and Application Design for the Semantic Desktop
(with Huiyong Xiao), VLDB Journal, vol 17, no. 6, pp 1385-1406, November 2008.
- Schema and Ontology Alignment
- Exploring a New Approach to the Alignment of Ontologies
(with Afsheen Rajendran). Workshop on Semantic Web Technologies for Searching and Retrieving Scientific Data, Sanibel
Island, Florida, 2003.
Alignment Methods with Applications to Geospatial Ontologies (with William
Sunna). Transactions in GIS, special issue on Semantic Similarity Measurement and Geospatial Applications, eds.
Krzystof Janowicz, Martin Raubal, Angela Schwering, Werner Kuhn, vol. 12, no. 6, pages 683-711, December 2008.
- Semantic Web and Security
- A Role and Attribute
Based Access Control System Using Semantic Web Technologies (with Lorenzo Cirio and Roberto Tamassia), IFIP WG 2.12 and WG 12.4 International Workshop on Semantic Web and Web
Semantics (SWWS), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4806, Springer, pages 1256-1266, 2007.
- A Secure Mediator
for Integrating Multiple Level Access Control Policies (with Rigel Gjomemo
and Mirko Orsini). 12th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information & Engineering
Systems, XML Security Track, ed. Ernesto Damiani, Zagreb, Croatia, Springer, 2008.
- A Location
Aware Role and Attribute Based Access Control System (Demo Paper) (with
Rigel Gjomemo, Benjamin Lin, and Mirko Orsini), ACM GIS, 2008.
- A Constraint
and Attribute Based Security Framework for Dynamic Role Assignment in Collaborative Environments (with Rigel Gjomemo, Benjamin Lin, and Mirko Orsini), CollaborateCom, 2008.
- Geospatial Information Systems
- Object Interoperability for Geospatial Applications. First Semantic Web Working
Symposium, SWWS, Stanford, California, 2001.
- Querying Heterogeneous Land Use Data: Problems and Potential (with Nancy Wiegand,
Daniel Patterson, Naijun Zhou, Steve Ventura). dg.o 2002, Los Angeles, California, 2002.
- Handling Semantic Heterogeneities
using Declarative Agreements (with Afsheen Rajendran, William Sunna, and
Nancy Wiegand). ACM GIS 2002.
- A Web Query System for Heterogeneous Geospatial Data (with Nancy Wiegand, Naijun
Zhou). Scientific and Statistical Database Management, SSDBM, July 2003, pp. 262-265.
- Data Integration
for Querying Geospatial Sources (with Huiyong Xiao). Geospatial Services
and Applications for the Internet, eds. John Sample, Kevin Shaw, Shengru Tu, and Mahdi Abdelguerfi, Springer, pages.113-137,
- User Interfaces for Multimedia Information Systems
- A User Interface for Distributed Multimedia Database Querying with Mediator Supported
Refinement (with Kim James). International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium, IDEAS '99, Montreal,
Canada, pp. 433-441, IEEE Press, August 1999.
- A Framework for the Dynamic Presentation of Fused Multimedia Databases (with
Haiyan Lin, Yuan Feng Huang). International Workshop on Multimedia Information Systems, Ischia, Italy, pp.13-22,
- A Layered Architecture
for the Exploration of Heterogeneous Information Using Coordinated Views
(with Yuan Feng Huan). IEEE Visual Languages, pp. 11-18, 2004.
- Visualization for the Semantic Web
- Web Rendering Systems: Techniques, Classification Criteria, and Challenges (with
Tiziana Catarci and Stephen Kimani). Visualizing the Semantic Web, eds. V. Geroimenko and C. Chen, Springer Verlag,
- Visual Query Languages
- Implementation of a Constraint-Based Visualization System (with Peter Leveille,
IEEE Visual Languages, pp. 13-20, 2000). Best Paper Award.
- As You Like It: Personalized Database Visualization Using a Visual Language (with
Peter Leveille, Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, 2001).
- Information and Algorithm Visualization
- Visualizing Geometric Algorithms over the Web (with James Baker, Giuseppe Liotta,
and Roberto Tamassia, Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, 12(1-2), pp. 125-152, 1999).
- Graph Drawing, and in particular
Declarative or Contraint-based Graph Drawing
- Graph Drawing Tutorial (with Roberto Tamassia)
- 3D Graph Drawing with Simulated Annealing (with Joseph P. Twarog). Graph Drawing
- Drawing Graphs by Example Efficiently: Trees and Planar Acyclic Digraphs (with
Ashim Garg). Graph Drawing 1994: 404-415
- Web Information Systems
- WebSA: Database Support
for Efficient Web Site Navigation (with Leo Liu and Tony Wu, 5th IFIP
2.6 Working Conference on Visual Database Systems (VDB5), Fukuoka - Japan, May 10-12, 2000, Kluwer Academic Publisher).
- Measuring Structural Similarity
Among Web Documents: Preliminary Results (with Slava Borisov, Michael
Marks, and Tim Webb, 7th International Conference on Electronic Publishing, EP '98, Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
Vol. 1375, Springer, 1998, pp. 513-524).
Other Links of Interest
Note: The manuscripts provided here are preliminary. The final
version of the papers can be obtained from the named sources.
Isabel F. Cruz